Wellington Terrace

1842
Wellington TerracePinterest
Wellington Terrace

“Capt. Jackson’s new stone buildings” were mentioned in July 1842. Robert Jackson, auctioneer, entrepreneur and loyal supporter of the status quo during the Rebellions of 1837-‘38, recognized the potential for building a five-unit terrace to rent to officers involved in the neighbouring Artillery Park during the heady days of Kingston as the capital of Upper Canada and Lower Canada. With great aplomb, he extended the row’s front yards into the undeveloped street allowance. But when Montreal Street was extended through Artillery Park in 1870, a stone wall had to be built to protect the terrace. In constant need of repair, the wall had to be rebuilt in 1903, when it was called that “beastly wall question.”