Summerhill in 1858. Source: Historic Kingston vol. 29 (1981): 122
Summerhill, Queen’s University. Source: photo by Jennifer McKendry.

The Reverend George Okill Stuart, minister at St George’s, was an ambitious developer and – one suspects – an amateur architect. On a height of land granted to the Stuarts as Loyalists (now part of Queen’s University), he began in 1836 a three-year project to build a large Palladian villa outside of the town proper. Still in use today by Queen’s University after a number of alterations, its original design can be seen in early illustrations. Its lineage reaches back to the 1570s in Italy, where Andrea Palladio was designing villas with a tall centre portion flanked by low wings connecting with taller end pavilions. Note the curving stone walls.