St. Andrew's Mance

St. Andrew's MancePinterest
St Andrew’s Church & Manse c1850. Source: Library & Archives Canada.
St. Andrew's MancePinterest
St Andrew’s Manse, 146 Clergy St E. at Queen. Source: photograph by Jennifer McKendry.

In late June 1841, George Browne, in town as the government architect while Kingston was the capital of Upper Canada and Lower Canada, called for tenders to build St Andrew’s Presbyterian Manse in the Classical style, which complemented the old stone church fronting Princess Street at Clergy. This church burnt in 1888 and was replaced by the current building. Fortunately, Browne’s fine manse survives with its excellent stonework featuring smooth dressings around the windows and centre doorway. The panelled chimney and iron balconies had refinement to the design.