Commercial mart

Commercial MartPinterest
Commercial Mart showing the original roofline photographed c1870 by R. Barrow. Source: collection Jennifer McKendry.
Commercial MartPinterest
Smith-Robinson Building, 27 Princess St at Ontario. Source: photo by Jennifer McKendry.

Early in 1842, while Kingston was still the capital of Upper Canada and Lower Canada, government architect George Browne called for tenders for “Three Cut-Stone Wholesale Stores” for merchant Charles Hales. He joined it onto an existing stone building but distinguished his portion with smooth stone and a handsome roofline (lost late in the 19th century when a mansard roof was added). He cleverly emphasized the street corner by joining the street facades with a round corner – echoing two round corners in nearby city hall. The Commercial Mart was conveniently located near the waterfront for unloading goods from ships.